CaryJacksonAtHCIBHLongtime steeplechase and flat owner Cary Jackson, 88, died Monday, February 7 after a car accident on his way home to Maryland from Lexington, Kentucky. The reality of Jackson’s death somewhat brings to life how common car accidents are, and how anyone is susceptible to being involved in one. The troubling actuality that there are 1.25 million car accident deaths per year brings about the question of why so many incidents are occurring on our roads. It’s situations like this that make you realise how unprepared some of us are when it comes to what we would do if we were ever to being involved in a car accident. If you’re like me and wouldn’t know where to start, doing some research into sites like WWW.KENDALLLAWFIRM.NET/ACCIDENTS/CAR-ACCIDENT-LAWYER/PREPARE-FOR-ACCIDENT/ could be a good place to start, especially when no one can predict when accidents are going to happen. It is always best to be safe than sorry, especially when you’re on the road.

Head over to this site for lawyers in Binghamton, NY, to find out what the proper procedure to follow should be when you’ve been involved in a car accident and also see what their attorneys can do to help you out in this difficult time.

Jackson owned steeplechase horses for many years, including Dusty Corners, Robber Ramble, Straight Paths and Dr. Ramsey. Jackson had four steeplechase horses in training with Maryland-based trainer Todd Wyatt, including 2010 Philadelphia Park allowance winner Northern Bay. Jackson also campaigned flat horses, several with Laurel-based Tim Keefe.

Jackson lived at Fox Harbor Farm in White Hall, Maryland where he oversaw his band of broodmares. Jackson retired the Chanceland Farm Challenge Trophy at last year’s Maryland Horse Breeders Association Yearling Show when his progeny, a colt by Langfuhr, won the grand champion award for Jackson’s third in the last six years.

He served in the U.S. Army, receiving a Purple Heart in World War II. He was a member of Army Specialized Training Program. Jackson graduated from Johns Hopkins University and worked for Bethlehem Steel, building liberty ships, before starting a construction and contracting business in the 1950’s. C.W. Jackson & Assoc. built many area schools and public buildings as well as other commercial real estate endeavors.

Jackson founded and served as the first president of Maryland Association for Wildlife Conservation. He served on the board of the NSA, SOTA, MFHA and was presently serving on the board of the Maryland Million.

The former amateur jockey rode in the Maryland Hunt Cup three times, finishing second aboard Dark Of The Moon in 1948.

Jackson is survived by his wife Ann and children Elinor J. Lloyd, T. Taylor Jackson, Catherine Y. Jackson, Leila W. Jackson; another son, Cary W. Jackson Jr. predeceased his father; two grandchildren and four step-children. Jackson was previously married to Charlotte Smyth, Louise Speer and Katherine Brewster. It is unnknown if the family has chosen to consider a personal injury lawyer at this time.

For an excellent article on Cary Jackson, as well as Virginian Nick Arundel who also died on Monday, please visit the current digital issue of Steeplechase Times.

There will be a memorial service for Cary Jackson on Saturday, February 19, 2011 at 2 p.m. at Saint James Episcopal in Monkton.

Cary Jackson: A Remarkable Man with Tons of Heart – as told to Hope Holland

Ross Pearce was just a young buck when he first met Cary Jackson. Today a National Steeplechase Association steward with a solid history of timber racing, then he was a 20-something kid trying to make it at Belmont Park as an exercise rider and assistant trainer for Buckland Farm when he got a call from Cary Jackson saying that he had a horse he thought Pearce could ride in the Maryland Hunt Cup. So, Pearce took the afternoon off and drove back down to Maryland to meet Mr. Jackson and check out his horse.

“Cary’s farm backed up to Sagamore then,” recalls Pearce. “The farm was on Butler Road but more towards Glyndon than towards Butler. I arrived at the farm and Mr. Jackson came out. It was in the very early spring of 1977 and Cary would have been in his mid-50s about then and he was all dressed in his hunting gear as he had just gotten back from foxhunting.

“We went down to the barn and he told his groom to bring out Moon Meeting and another horse. Moon Meeting was a big brown gelding and the other horse was a very good-looking Thoroughbred sort too, so I kind of thought that I might be being offered two horses to ride for Cary. When it was time to mount up, however, I got on Moon Meeting and Cary got right up on that other horse.

“I was a young man then and I remember wondering to myself what that ‘older man’ was doing getting on a horse like that! Cary pointed out the fences that he wanted me to jump for him. Some of them were on his property and they were post and rail, good-sized fences and solid ones. Some of them were on Sagamore property and they were the four board white fences that surrounded Sagamore and they were really solid too.

“We warmed up a bit and then I thought, ‘Okay! Well, I’ll go off and school and he’ll watch me,’ and off I went. DSC_0022_6_byDouglasLeesWEB

“Imagine my surprise when I looked over and there was Cary on that other Thoroughbred right next to me! He was beside me at the first fence and he rode those fences with me head to head. As I recall, he might have led me a bit on one or another of those fences all the way around that big circle and his horse maybe even jumped a bit better than mine. We were traveling at a pretty good clip, too, a racing speed gallop and jumping those fences right out of stride just the way we would if we were in the Hunt Cup.

“When we finished I found out that he was pleased with me and how I rode Moon Meeting and that I had a horse to ride in the Hunt Cup. I found out something else, too. I didn’t ever again make the mistake of discounting an ‘older’ man quite the way I did before I tried out a horse for Cary Jackson!

“I rode Moon Meeting for Cary in The Hunt Cup in 1977 and 1978 and he won The Howard County Hunt Cup in 1979. Moon Meeting finished third twice in the Hunt Cup to the great Ben Nevis and in 1978 Ben Nevis broke the track record by 8+ seconds there. I finished 30 lengths behind him on Moon Meeting and if you figure a fifth of a second per length you will see that Moon Meeting also bested the track record by a couple of seconds himself.

“I am about the same age today as Cary was then, and I know for a fact there is no way I would school a horse that fast head to head over those big fences t my age! Cary Jackson was a remarkable man with a ton of heart.”