The Frederick County Division Fire and Rescue Services posted this morning (Friday, February 22) that the cause of the barn fire at the Moxley’s Centerline Farm on February 9 was due to an extension cord malfunction. FCDFRS Battalion Chief Kenneth L. Poole told The Equiery, “The cause was the failure of an extension cord that was powering the block heater on a tractor parked inside the barn.” Poole added that the estimated damage from the fire, which killed 8 horses and several barn cats, is $135,000. However, he also stated, “final loss amounts are determined by the insurance company and the owner if they suffer any losses not covered by insurance.” At this time, the investigation is considered complete.

To read more about this story, click on the link below:

Frederick County Barn Fire Update