The 2023 Thoroughbred Makeover and National Symposium will hold a pilot program for broodmares as part of the competition. Recently retired broodmares will compete alongside the traditional Makeover entrants in all ten disciplines. However, broodmares will be pinned and recognized separately and compete for a separate pot of $10,000 in prize money.
The addition of the new broodmare program is made possible due to a grant from ASPCA. The Retired Racehorse Project is anticipating additional support from farms and regional breeder groups.
To be eligible, broodmares must meet the following criteria:
• Be Jockey Club-registered
• Have foaled or been bred in the 2021 breeding season or after, as reported by The Jockey Club
• Have one lifetime start or published work
• Since the history of each broodmare can vary significantly, broodmares will not be subject to the 15-ride limit
• Broodmares may not have had prior shows or competitions
The training period for all 2023 Makeover entries opens December 1 and trainer applications will be accepted from January 2-20, 2023. Accepted trainers will be announced on or before February 15 and trainers can register horses through July 31. Complete rules can be found on TheRRP.org.