Cargill announced yesterday (May 6) afternoon that it is voluntarily recalling select Southern States feed due to excess levels of aflatoxin. Aflatoxins can cause Aflatoxicosis, which in its acute form can result in generalized hemorrhage, bloody diarrhea and death in 1-3 days. It has similar affects across all species and age classes but tends to affect immature animals more.
The affected feed was manufactured at Cargill’s Cleveland, North Carolina facility and sold in the eastern US, including Maryland, but has been removed from retail shelves over the last few months. Cargill was made aware of the problem when the NC Department of Agriculture notified them of test results showing a single lot of a specific Southern States produce with elevated levels of aflatoxin.
According to the FDA, no adverse health effects to livestock, horses or poultry have been reported. Cargill has reported that it has identified the issue and corrected the root cause.
Below is a list of all the recalled products, along with their size, Lot Code, Product Code, Species, Date Made, and Shelf Life.
• Southern States Traditions 2-Grain Scratch (CN) 50 lb N8313 523540 Poultry Nov 2018 | 90 days
• Southern States Flock Balancer 20% Booster (CN) 50 lb N8352 525430 Poultry Dec 2018 | 90 days
• Southern States Calf Developer Plus (DEC) (CN) 50 lb N8354 511810 Dairy Cattle Dec 2018 | 60 days
• Southern States Sheep Feed Pellets (CN) 50 lb N9035 572610 Sheep Feb 2019 | 90 days
• Southern States Sporting Bird Flight Developer (BMD) (CN) 50 lb N9035 523630 Poultry Feb 2019 | 90 days
• Southern States Genetic Expression 14% Jump Start (BVT) (CN) 50 lb N9035 573760 Beef Cattle Feb 2019 | 90 days
• Southern States Custom Formula 2 tons (all purchased by a single customer) N9037 Poultry Feb 2019 | 30 days
• Southern States Traditions Chick Start & Grow (AMP) (CN) 50 lb N9039 523600 Poultry Feb 2019 | 90 days
• Southern States Custom Formula 23 tons (all purchased by a single customer) N9039 Dairy Cattle Feb 2019 | 30 days
• Southern States 16% Sweet Goat Feed (CN) 50 lb N9043 571800 Goat Feb 2019 60 days
• Southern States Triple 10 (CN) 50 lb N9043 554270 Equine Feb 2019 60 days
• Southern States Coarse Screened Cracked Corn (CN) 50 lb N9045 591180 All Stock Feb 2019 | 90 days
• Southern States Intensity 22% Calf Starter (BVT/CF) (CN) 50 lb N9045 511961 Dairy Cattle Feb 2019 | 60 days
• Southern States All Grain Start-N-Grow (CN) 25 lb N9053 523500 Poultry Feb 2019 | 90 days
If you have any of the recalled products listed above, please return it to the place of purchase for a full replacement or refund.