The Maryland Horse Industry Board announced on July 19 that 13 groups will receive more than $20,000 in MHIB grants this year, among them therapeutic riding programs, youth clubs, public riding facilities, educational programs and research programs. These grants help build awareness of and involvement in the horse industry through research, education, and promotional activities.
“The equine industry is important to the state’s economy and to the lives of many Marylanders,” said state Agriculture Secretary Lewis R. Riley. “The scope and worth of the projects the board evaluated illustrates the demand for these grants. The ‘feed fund’ continues to make it possible to support many of those requests.”
The latter fund, established during the 2002 legislative session, provides an ongoing source of money to promote the horse industry. The refundable $2 per ton assessment on equine feed costs about $1 per horse per year to the horse owner and supports this grant program as well as other promotional, research, and outreach activities undertaken by the Maryland Horse Industry Board.
This year, the board received 27 grant applications totaling more than $100,000, with individual requests ranging from $750-$10,000. Projects were evaluated for value to the industry, degree of industry promotion, size and scope of the activity, financial need, and quality of the written presentation. To date, the MHIB has awarded 136 grants totaling more than $150,000.
The Maryland Horse Industry Board was established in 1998 to promote and develop the horse industry.
2006 Grant Winners
• LEAD Maryland, Susan R. Harrison, 410-827-8056 ext. 136, Class V Fellows Seminars 2007, $3,300 (Queen Anne’s County)
• Maryland Horse Council-Trails and Greenways, Peggy Bree, 410-224-8804, Southeast Equestrian Trails Conference attendance, $435 (Howard County)
• Maryland Combined Training Association, Janene Gerling-Dunsmore, 410-429-4964, MCTA Horse Trials at Shawan Downs, $1,000 (Baltimore County)
• University of Maryland, Erin Petersen, 301-405-4690, 2007 Equine Science Society Conference, $3,596 (Prince George’s County)
• Fair Hill International, Charles T. Colgan, 410-398-2111, facility upgrades, $2,500.00 (Cecil County)
• University of Maryland, Dr. Amy Burk, 301-405-8337, research equipment, $2,500 (Prince George’s County)
• VA-MD College of Veterinary Medicine, Equine Medical Center, Dr. L. Jill McCutcheon, 703-771-6800, equipment for collaborative research lab, $2,000 (Prince George’s County)
• Calvert Therapeutic Riding Center, Leah Rayburn, 410-610- 5455, therapeutic riding ramp, $800 (Calvert County)
• Great Strides Therapeutic Riding Inc., Terry A. Lewis, 301-253-1166, therapeutic vaulting equipment, $1,565 (Montgomery County)
• Therapeutic & Recreational Riding Center, Dr. Helen Tuel, 410-489-5100, therapeutic riding saddle, $1,120 (Howard County)
• Garrett Hoofprints 4-H Club, Sheryl Jordan, 301-746-6320, State Horse Bowl competition costs, $500 (Garrett County)
• Meade Pony Club, Debra Lambert, 410-242-6946, rally attendance costs, $600 (Anne Arundel County)
• Southern Maryland Horse Council, Susan Cusic, 301-769-3552, Horse Science School, $500 (Saint Mary’s County)
Total Awarded Funds $20,416.00